I love this dish because it takes a normal, easy to cook meal, and turns it into something completely new. I was a little late in the “lettuce wrap” game, and let me say that I’m very disappointed that I did not discover these sooner. I guess my mind wasn’t creative enough to think to use a piece of lettuce instead of a tortilla. I can tell you, using lettuce in place of a tortilla is one of the greatest inventions ever. Give it a try, you won’t regret it. This dish is also really good on a bed of rice.
Chicken Stir-Fry Lettuce Wraps
(adapted from Food Everyday: Great Food Fast)
1 ½ pounds of chicken, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons of olive oil
4 scallions, cut into one inch pieces
1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves
1 ½ teaspoons grated ginger
3 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 ½ teaspoon cornstarch
crushed red pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet, add minced garlic, and then add in the chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Stir frequently, until the insides are no longer pink. Then add in your scallion and bell pepper. Cook for about another five minutes.
- Add the ginger and crushed red pepper to the skillet with the chicken and vegetables.
- Prepare the sauce. Combine the rice vinegar, soy sauce, and cornstarch and mix well.
- Add the sauce to the chicken mixture and allow the sauce to thicken for about a minute. Take off heat.
- Add chicken mixture into lettuce wraps.