It’s a beautiful Saturday afternoon where I’m from and me and my boyfriend just got done washing our vehicles! We were both craving something yummy, and we were both thinking my famous quesadilla! These quesadillas are so easy to make, and for us, we usually have the ingredients sitting around the house. It is probably my favorite dish to make; just because I know everyone will enjoy them. I’ll be bold enough to say that I’ve perfected the art of this type of quesadilla. These quesadillas are perfect for a yummy, quick lunch or even a dinner.
The Perfect Quesadilla!
Serving Size: 2
4 pieces of chicken tenderloins, chopped into bite size pieces (if you want to make this larger, I follow the rule of 2 tenderloins per person)
2 flour tortillas (or more, if you plan on making more than 2)
1/2 tablespoon of EVOO
1 tablespoon of butter, melted
1/4 shredded cheese (or square cheese will do just fine)
1/4 teaspoon of crushed red pepper
1/2 cup of green salsa (or red, whichever you have)
1/4 teaspoon of ground cumin
1 tomato, diced
1/2 cup of onion, diced
1/4 cup of fresh cilantro (or dry), chopped thinly
1 serrano pepper (I didn’t have any of these on hand this time, but it adds great heat to the pico)
1. Add oil to large skillet and allow to warm up. After chopping your chicken into small pieces, mix it into a small bowl with the salsa, cumin, and crushed red pepper.
2. Add chicken to skillet and cook until they are no longer pink in the middle.
3. Meanwhile, chop up your vegetables and add them to a bowl. Congratulations, you’ve just made a simple pico de gallo. 🙂
4. After chicken is done cooking, remove from the pan and set aside. Wipe down skillet so there is nothing remaining.
5. Take each tortilla and microwave for 15 seconds. After, take a cooking brush (or if you don’t have one, put small amounts of butter into pan each time) and brush the melted butter on one side of the tortilla. Place tortilla, butter side down, into a medium-heat pan.
6. On one side, add the shredded cheese (or take a piece of square cheese and cut it in half and place on one side), chicken, and pico de gallo. Fold over one side and allow to sit for about 30 seconds.
7. Flip it over, using a spatula, with the top side first, see picture below.
8. Allow both sides to brown.
9. Continue for all quesadillas.
Note: This is the first time that I used square cheese instead of shredded. My boyfriend loves cheese, and so I added a piece on top of the tortilla, and then another on top of the chicken and pico. He loved it more than the shredded cheese. So I’d go with the square cheese if you are a cheese lover. It doesn’t make it as pretty, but it tastes delicious.
——What is your favorite dish to cook because you know everyone will love it?——